- Apples are tart. Used for applesauce and pies. They can be processed without further ripening.
- Apples are sweet. Makes a light colored applesauce, and is our favorite for drying.
HINTS FOR HANDLING FRUIT
- Before consuming, wash fruit.
- Do not pack fruit deeply into containers.
- Handle gently. Peaches bruise very easily; especially Veterans.
- As soon as possible, place fruit one layer deep in a place out of direct sunlight where they can be left undisturbed.
- Place the peaches far enough apart so they are not touching (this reduces the opportunity for rot to spread).
- Let the fruit finish ripening. The length of time depends on the ripeness when picked and the temperature of the location in which you place them.
- We recommend letting the Veteran peaches ripen 2-3 days after picking. Then they will peel easier and scalding them becomes unnecessary.
- Let the pears ripen for 7-10 days; they will turn a yellow color. Be careful to not wait too long – they rot from the inside out .