Red Haven Peaches
First peach of the season. Excellent for eating. Cans and freezes well. Needs to be blanched and some years is difficult to get off the pit. Many people think it is worth the work to can because of its flavor.
Ripens at the end of Red Haven season. Bright red color and a bit sweeter than Star Fire. Very firm flesh; holds up well for transporting.
Ripens 5-7 days after Red Haven peaches. Bright red coloring. Very firm flesh; holds up well for transporting.
Generally a large peach. Sweet like the Red Haven, but easier to get off the pit and to peel. Ripens 5-7 days after the Red Haven.
Sweet peach. Excellent canning and freezing peach. Peels without scalding and is easy to get off the pit. Pick when it has a golden background color. The Veteran peach is ripe when it has a richer golden color, the pit can be easily removed, and the skin peels off easily without scalding. They can be processed earlier if scalded. If canning Veteran', don't be concerned about cutting out the discolored spots, these will disappear during the canning process. Cut out those areas where the texture is destroyed. Since Veteran peaches are very sweet, we suggest using a light syrup. VETERAN peaches are also excellent frozen and dried.
HINTS FOR HANDLING FRUIT
- Before consuming, wash fruit.
- Do not pack fruit deeply into containers.
- Handle gently. Peaches bruise very easily; especially Veterans.
- As soon as possible, place fruit one layer deep in a place out of direct sunlight where they can be left undisturbed.
- Place the peaches far enough apart so they are not touching (this reduces the opportunity for rot to spread).
- Let the fruit finish ripening. The length of time depends on the ripeness when picked and the temperature of the location in which you place them.
- We recommend letting the Veteran peaches ripen 2-3 days after picking. Then they will peel easier and scalding them becomes unnecessary.
- Let the pears ripen for 7-10 days; they will turn a yellow color. Be careful to not wait too long – they rot from the inside out .